Due to its complexity, the task should be split into four steps:
Step 1: Introduction
Please, choose a tool/application from the list below and post to the appropriate forum. Please cover step 2: E-Literacy Skills and step 3: E-Professional Skills in two separate postings.
forum for the analysis of a wiki
forum for the analysis of a social bookmarking tool
forum for the analysis of a blog
forum for the analysis of a ning
forum for the analysis of a chat
forum for the analysis of a "forum”
Step 2: Which of the following competences (see attached document) are required to use the tool you chose and which of them can it help develop?
Step 3: Analysis
Use the following questions to analyze the tool you have selected
1. Have you already used the chosen tool yourself
a. in private contexts? If yes, explain briefly.
b. in teaching contexts? If yes, explain briefly.
2. In what way(s) does this tool allow you to have access to, understand and interpret texts, sound, images, etc. from users of other cultures?
3. In what way does this tool allow you to communicate information about your own cultural context(s), presenting your ideas, thoughts and personal identity?
4. In the process of “negotiation of meaning” learners assist one another in order to achieve mutual understanding. In which way(s) does this tool support this process?
5. Which one of the communication modes (written, visual, oral, aural) provided by the tool facilitate points 2 to 4 in the most efficient way? Why?
6. How can this tool be combined with other tools to extend the possibilities of creating a space for online exchange and collaboration?
7. In what ways have other teachers you know used this tool? Where can you find support from fellow teachers or mentors on the Internet?
8. How do you define your role as a teacher with regard to implementing this tool in your teaching? How is this different from face-to-face teaching?
Step 4: Follow-up
Please respond to at least two other contributions:
one in your own Forum and
one in another Forum
Commenting on the choice of tool by the other groups. Your response should be substantive in that you need to keep in mind the same evaluation criteria you used for your own choice of tool.
- Do you agree with the other groups’ evaluation? Why or why not?
- How could you use this tool to promote the development of multiliteracy skills in your own teaching practice?